After adding the Dump Cake recipe, I decided to post another dessert for those chocoholics. Another Burckart family favorite is our hot fudge sundae cake. Years and years ago, my mom got this recipe off a Hershey's container and its survived in our family ever since. Hershey's calls it something different now, Hot Fudge Pudding Cake, and uses butter instead of Crisco, but its still excellent.
Not only is this a great treat, but its fun to watch it be made also. You make the cake, then dump sugar and cocoa on top of the cake and pour hot water all over it. So, what goes in the over is a cake with a pool of water over the top. But when it comes out, the water has crept through to the bottom making a layer of rich fudge underneath the cake. Yummy!
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
* 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa, divided
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
* 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1-1/4 cups hot water
* Whipped topping
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla; beat until smooth.
2. Pour batter into ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter. Pour hot water over top; do not stir.
3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes. Serve in dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top. Garnish with whipped topping. About 8 servings.
The changes we make to it is that it serves like 6 and to use ice cream, spooning the hot fudge on top of the ice cream.