Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Creamy Cheese Lasagna

So, I am in the recipe posting mood. Here is a favorite...Last year I set out to make a creamy cheese lasagna like my good friend's mom used to make. I read about 80 recipes and came up with my own. My friend, John, told me it was the second best he ever had behind his mom's. So, I thought I would share the recipe.

The one trick I did learn was to cook it, let it sit to congeal, then heat it again. This is how it stays together when you cut it. This works nicely also if you are bringing it to a friend as you can do the last heating at their house hours later.
Creamy Cheese Lasagna


1 box of lasagna noodles (16 oz)
1.5 c mozzarella
1.5 jar of sauce
------------------------------
------
Cheese Mixture
1 c parmasean finely grated
1 lb ricotta
1 c romano finely grated
3 eggs
1 clove garlic minces
basil (more basil than parsley or oregano, fresh if possible)
parsley
oregano
--------------------------------

Spray 8x12 - 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the pan with sauce light layer of sauce
Start with a layer of noodles (4-5). First and last layers should have the most noodles.
Put 1/3 cheese mixture on the noodles. (Lowest layer should have least cheese)
Approx 3/4 c of sauce on that. Place 4-5 noodles on that.
Another 1/3 cheese and 3/4c sauce.
On last layer, put 1/2c mozzarella on top of sauce. Put final layer of noodles.
Then put remaining mozzarella and then sauce on that. Should be covered in sauce on top.

Bake at 375 for 35 mins covered, 10 mins uncovered. Let sit on counter for 4 hrs uncovered to let it congeal.

Bake again at 350 for 20 mins.

No comments: