Friday, May 30, 2008

Poor Dad?

I read this blog from Sue Stock and thought, I hope my family isn't planning to spend $100 on my father's day gift. Last year my wife got me a wonderful card and some prints for my first father's day and this year I asked for a book about Daddys to read to my girls. Heather and I are pummeled with gift giving events by June with most of our immediate family's birthdays being in the first half of the year, valentines, mothers day, and our anniversary. In the end, I find myself saying my wish for father's day is not to spend anymore money!

Now, I am one of those guys who can always think of something cool to get. I love gadgets and electronic toys. For example, for my birthday this year my dad got me this cool 5 day wireless weather forecaster that takes radio signals from Accuweather and displays the current weather as well as the forecast for today and the next 4 days. It now proudly sits on my refrigerator and I look at it every day before I get my shower and dress for the day.

Although I love the toys, I feel more and like I would rather have my family pocket the money instead of spend it on non-necessities. How can I convince others to do that? I have been slowly trying, stopping or slowing Christmas presents to close friends and family so that we can both keep our money. For example, my close friend John and I used to consistently exchange the same amount in gift cards from Best Buy every Christmas. What's the point? We put a stop to that.

So, the question is how do you get your family to hold back on gifts and let you hold back to? Especially with all the weddings, baby showers, birthdays, kid's birthdays, etc that are going on in our lives? Heather has a group of like 10 friends who meet for a playgroup all of which have 2nd birthdays between now and October. If we just buy a $25 gift for each of them, thats $250! How can we politely say, I won't spend it if you won't? Especially since a lot of these same friends just bought us baby shower gifts.

To take it back to the first mentioned blog...I don't want to be "Poor Dad." I would rather slow gift giving and be rich dad! How do we stop this consumerism and save more money without insulting people?

No comments: