Yesterday night while talking about my 29th birthday, the comment was made that "30 is, like, a grown-up." Well, gee, I never thought about what a grown-up really is. I spent all morning (I wake up at 5:15) thinking about what a grown-up is. I decided there were some common characteristics that defined a grown-up that I would have named 15 years ago:
- Married (Check!)
- House (Check!)
- Stable job with responsibility (Check!)
- Life is more planned instead of spontaneous (Check!)
- Graying or Balding hair (Check! See for yourself --> )
- Body no longer recovers from years of physical abuse (Check!)
- Savings weighted towards future rather than fun (Check!)
- Children! (Check!)
- Driving slower (Check!)
- Wakes up early (Check!)
- Can't pull late nights (Check!)
- Beyond 20-something...
I am not sure about the last one there. I may have never put it on a list myself, but at least by someone's measure I can still call myself not a grown-up...for another year.