Wednesday, September 17, 2008

product recalls

So, I subscribe to the Consumer Product Safety Commission's email list for product recalls. I never cared much before Heather was pregnant with Anna and I thought I should monitor it. Typically, that means 1 email each week with anywhere from 1-5 products in each email. Today, we got the second recall for a Simplicity branded bed, which is the brand Anna used. The first was a bassinet last week and second was this Simplicity drop side crib. Here is an article on it from Reuters. The bassinet led to the death of two infants and the crib has led to 9 injuries, no deaths.

To me this is very scary since we own a Simplicity Ellis Crib for Anna. We like this crib and have recommended it to friends...but this is the type of thing that makes you want to never recommend a product. What if I has recommended the bassinet to a friend whose child was killed or the crib to a friend who got injured? Not only that, but I think its a reminder that our kids, especially at these very young ages, are so very fragile. We don't think normally we could die while sleeping because our bed kills us.

Anyway, I highly recommend subscribing to the consumer recall email list...I doubt it will cause any pain or discomfort.

No comments: