Friday, August 08, 2008

The dream of a lake house


I was viewing a friend's pictures of their gorgeous lake lot and went down the rat-hole of looking into lakefront properties and the prices and viability of buying a lakefront home. I have been dreaming of owning a lake front property for years. It probably all started when going to my sister's in-law's house in Maine. (The picture above is from that lake house when Heather and I visited there in 2004). Heather and I also enjoyed multiple relaxing weekends in Virginia at her uncle's river house. These non-beach but very nice vacation homes have given us something to dream about for our future...

The problem is, as you know if you have been following my blog, I don't want any debt...let alone on a house we don't use frequently. Our ability to save up the money to buy a house will be near impossible in the next 10 years while meeting our other financial objectives relative to our primary residence, retirement savings, college savings, and schooling for our children.

I have to admit, the thought of waiting for 15-20 yrs to have my dream vacation home kind of stinks. Anyone else have a similar dream they are holding off on?

No comments: